Bursaries and scholarships available for 2024-25
For 2024 to 2025 we are offering bursaries of:
- £28,000 in chemistry, computing, mathematics and physics
- £25,000 in biology, design and technology, geography and languages (including ancient languages)
- £10,000 in art and design, English, music and RE
Applicants may be eligible for a bursary if they have 1st, 2:1, 2:2, PhD or master’s degree.
We are offering scholarships of:
- £30,000 in chemistry, computing, mathematics and physics
- £27,000 in French, German and Spanish (no other languages)
Scholarships are usually available to applicants with a 1st, 2:1, master’s or PhD, though in exceptional circumstances they may be awarded to a graduate with a 2:2 and significant relevant experience.
Scholarships also come with a package of additional benefits from the relevant scholarship body:
- tax free scholarship
- membership to the professional body
- subject specialist events and webinars held by professional bodies
- online and face-to-face workshops across the country
- subject specialist mentors and coaching
- community of scholars (ex-scholars, teachers, subject leaders)
- access to classroom resources
- continuing professional development (CPD) and networking events during ITT year and Alumni
Scholarships are applied for separately to ITT and only awarded to high calibre students who pass a robust application and interview process in one of the specialist subject areas. Scholarships are awarded instead of a bursary.
Scholarship applicants should apply to the relevant scholarship body, details are available on Get Into Teaching.
Further guidance on postgraduate bursaries and scholarships is available in the initial teacher training (ITT) bursary: funding manual.
For information on all of our School Direct programmes, visit the Gov.uk site 'Find Postgraduate Teacher Training website'.
For the full guidance to bursaries and scholarships - visit the DfE website.
You can also read more about getting into teaching on the Department for Education's 'Get Into Teaching website'.